Saturday, December 25, 2010

A Christmas Story


For some of these guys out here, this is the third or fourth time away from loved ones since these wars kicked off. A lot of these guys deal with Christmas away from families by treating Christmas like another day in paradise. Being that this is my first trip to the desert and the first Christmas not with my family or a loved one's family, it's not just another day. I'm not sure that I want to ever think of Christmas as just another day. I'm sure this won't be the last Christmas away from loved ones, and my hope is that I never miss them on this day any less than I do now. This last week has been kind of rough on everyone...we're all thinking of home, talking to loved ones as they prepare the house for visitors, or prepare to travel, knowing that there's going to be an empty spot at the dinner table, or around the tree on Christmas morning. As our III Corps Commander reminded us today, those who have it hardest are often the families of the deployed. We're fortunate enough to spend Christmas here with our "second family." A great many families of ours are forced to spend their Christmas without a father or mother present, which is completely unimagineable to me. So, this Christmas day, remember those who aren't with you on this very special day, and leave a place set for them for their return. And especially remember those who are dealing with yet another Christmas at home without their husbands, fathers, wives or mothers.

3 comments:

  1. Christmas is every day of the year. That is how we learn to handle "holidays" away from those we love. We have our love in our hearts and nothing takes that away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Christmas tree is great. If you leave it up you can put hearts on it for Valentines. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...highly unlikely, Glenna. Seeing as how the Army is my only Valentine, and we've agreed to exchange no gifts this year, I think I won't be celebrating that holiday.

    ReplyDelete