Thursday, December 30, 2010

A New Resolution


With the new year upon us, millions of people among us will undoubtedly be making New Year Resolutions. Some want to finally kick a habit that has bothered them for years. Some want to focus more on work. Some want to focus less. The bottom line, regardless of the resolution, is that people see something in their lives that they want to change, and January 1st is a great date to start it. There really is nothing magical about the date...although 1/1/11 looks pretty good. The fact is, by 3/1/11, most of these resolutions will have been forgotten, and the breaking of somehow justified by the quitter.

My father, much wealthier than me in terms of just about everything including wisdom and experience, has always said, "Don't tell me what you are GOING to do. Tell me what you have DONE." That's not to say you shouldn't set goals for your life. In fact, it's quite the opposite. For a long time, I just thought I wouldn't say what I was going to do in the future, and then I could be satisfied with the status quo. That's not it. Or maybe it is for some.

I can look at a mountain and say that I'm going to climb it. I can spend all this time gathering my gear, making plans for the ascent, and talk about what I'm going to do when I reach the summit. Everyone at the base looks at me and says, "Wow, John! That's great stuff!" Before too long, the weather changes. The gear that I've gathered to climb the mountain is now not suitable for the ice and snow. The planned route is now impassable, and the people start mumbling about no movement. That mountain peak now seems unattainable, and I start to talk about a different mountain that's a better fit for me...better weather, better routes, etc... When we get down to brass tacks, IF I HAD JUST STARTED CLIMBING THE MOUNTAIN, I WOULD BE LOOKING DOWN FROM THE SUMMIT AT WHAT I HAD DONE.

Every day there is a mountain to climb. With every new year should come a new, bigger, more challenging mountain. I lived a life where each day was just another day of sameness. It's depressing to me. You can live life on a plateau, pleased with the status quo. A great many people do that and live full, complete lives. But why do that? It seems to me that all that's good for is keeping yourself busy until you die. Not for me. I'm looking down from this little mole-hill that was 2010, and I'm not satisfied. I see my K2 in the distance, and I can't wait to start climbing that in 2011 and 2012. There are mountains out there for everyone. It's up to you and me to get out there and start climbing.

3 comments:

  1. That was very inspiring, I can't wait to see what you do in 2011 and more importantly I can't wait for you to come back. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is going to be exciting, without a doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great John. I am not good at resolutions, but I do strive to be a better person. I think of all the things I "quit", and none of it happened on New Years Day. lol. I pray for peace and comfort for all.

    ReplyDelete