Saturday, November 6, 2010


*Author's Note: When I sat down to write this, I fully intended to write an entry with a beginning, middle and end, as most decent writers attempt to accomplish, but often fail to do...I digress. However, after writing far more than the typical reader would be expected to stay with in a single sitting, I made the command decision to leave you all with the first, but perhaps not last, multi-part entry. I will undoubtedly complete the series tonight, but intentionally withhold it, both to annoy the reader as well as give them a reason to come back. Plus, it puts me in a position of power over all of you, the readers. That being said, do try to enjoy this, and be sure to take notes. There WILL be an exam.
-j




On my homepage, I have a quote of the day section set up (inspiration, brought to you by google!). After today's mission, I came in to my room to check up on e-mails and saw one by Douglas Adams (I've never read anything by him, but I'm sure I would like him):

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."

Knowing about his writings, I'm undoubtedly taking it out of context, but it really sums up my life story up to this point. I left high school, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed ready to tackle the world and solve it's many problems. 9 years, 133 semester hours and a mountain of student loans later, I am what the civilian world would call over-qualified for my position, sitting in a country that needs our help more than they realize (for whatever reason you choose to insert here...I have no opinion. Ha.), and have no real complaints. 9 years ago, I never once thought I'd be sitting here now. Moreover, if you asked 18 year old John what 27 year old John would be doing, he'd likely say working as a record producer for a punk rock label out in California, married to his high school sweetheart. Well, the music industry changed, she married someone else, and John changed too. 18 year old John changed into College John, the idealistic romantic, hell-bent on grassroots efforts to make the world a better place. That John would have told you 27 year old John would be in law school, married to the love of his life and raising two terrible black cats (actually just one...mine was but a sidekick in their hijinks). That almost happened. Somewhere deep inside, though, the idealism gave way to realism with just a touch of cynicism (and probably a few more -isms in there...no need for input from the peanut gallery on this one), and College John was kicked to the curb...for better or worse. There was just a touch of romanticism left that fateful day that 23 year old John signed his life away to the United States Army.

1 comment:

  1. Well I hope that the 27 year old John relizes he is doing a wonderful thing that for the most part other people are afraid to do. And I can't believe you would want cats over dogs! I am waiting for the rest of the story BTW. Sorry I got ur hello on facebook late to answer back! I miss your face and stay out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete