Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What I'm Thankful For, Part II

Being that I am forgetful, I might have forgotten to continue this for Tuesday. But because I also have editorial power, you'll never know.

This Tuesday before Thanksgiving, I am thankful for the good health I have enjoyed in these short 27 years. I am rarely, if ever, sick, have never had any major illnesses, nor any injuries to speak of other than a broken nose. Based on scientific research and what the FDA, Heart Association, etc... say, I should, by all accounts, be dead. However, every checkup usually ends with the doctor saying, "You are in great health. Keep doing whatever you're doing." Check. As I write this, though, I am knocking rather loudly on every piece of wood I can find. I have been blessed with great health by my parents (awfully pale white skin, but great health), and I am grateful every day that I wake up with no pain or strange flesh-eating bacteria attacking me (thanks for the worry about every time I swim in a lake, though, Mom).

Also, I am thankful that I (normally) live in a country where going to run errands doesn't involve worrying about being blown up or avoiding countless check points to get to where you're going. We take for granted so many things in the US. You literally don't have to leave your house for anything anymore, and if you do for some strange reason, there's usually a drive-through so you don't even have to leave the comfort of your padded leather seats and air conditioning. Say what you will about all of that, it is nice. We're a fatter people for it, and more unhealthy (except me), but health care is improving along with that, so it balances out.

I could go on for hours about this, but, truth be told, I just ate my Thanksgiving lunch and the sleep monster is sneaking up on me. But seriously, I wrote this on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment