Thursday, November 25, 2010

A Thanksgiving From Afar


I have never spent a Thanksgiving away from my family. Even years where keeping a job required me to be there for that day, family came to me. It is by far my favorite holiday. People always look at me strangely when I say that, but it is true. "Why not Christmas?" is always their response. Christmas is good. I love Christmas. It is my second favorite holiday. Behind Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving, for my family at least, is nothing more than a day of fellowship. And wonderful, wonderful food, of course. It is this simplicity that I so love. There is nothing else going on this day, only a gathering of family to enjoy the fellowship of each other. Cooking and cleaning up seem easier on this day. (That may just be how it seems while I look on from the couch. Ha?). But ultimately, there are no complications other than timing the dinner rolls just right so they're ready when the green bean casserole comes out.

That said, today, as with every day, I am thankful for my family. It is hard for me to put into words the love that I have for every single member of my family, but it is felt. I was incredibly blessed to have a loving (but sometimes trying...ha) grandfather for 27 years. This will be our first Thanksgiving in a long time without him, and he will undoubtedly be greatly missed in the cirlce of family around the food. I am incredibly grateful for my wonderful Grandmother that I still have in my life. I am grateful to her for the way that she raised her boys and her daughter. My uncles have played a large role in my life, and am eternally grateful to both of them. My mother and father have spent the last 30 years trying to get the best out of their two boys. It's nearly killed the both of them, my brother and me, but I think we've turned out ok. No amount of thanksgiving can equal the love that these two have given us, nor the lessons they've taught us. My brother really took advantage of the "big brother" thing, but over the past few years, and possibly due in part to his lovely new wife, he has become a good friend as well as a brother. (That may also be due to his fear of me whooping him now). I am sad that I didn't get many years with my paternal grandparents, but am grateful to them for the father I have as well my 3 uncles. I am always impressed when I think of my grandmother raising 4 boys...especially hearing stories of those 4 boys. I'm positive I would've run away.

Every Thanksgiving, we all gather around the food, say a prayer of thanksgiving, and, one by one, say what we're thankful for. This is not done without the obligatory complaining (also a big tradition in our family), but unfortunately, I am not there today to voice my discontent over this ridiculous act. I will however offer what I am thankful for today:

Everything that I am today, everything, is due to all of you standing around this circle, those who have gone before us, and those not able to be here with us today. I am not physically here with you all today, but I am who I am today because you are all here with me today.

"Always remember there was nothing worth sharing
Like the love that let us share our name"

1 comment: