Saturday, November 13, 2010

How We Got Here, Part II


The question begs (at least from my perspective), "Hey...you were OUT. You had nothing but problems, and got out. Why go back?" Good question, dear reader. Part of me would answer simply: I am a glutton for punishment. However, a greater part of me would say that I hadn't yet fulfilled an obligation I felt I owed my brothers (and sisters) in arms. See, around week 5 of basic training, these strangers that were thrown in together from literally all walks of life begin to work in concert with each other, depending on one another to get through the various ordeals. I fell in love with these "joes." Individually, a private in the Army is generally like a 2 year old: Lacking in motor skills, language proficiency, and full of tantrums. However, there is nothing more resilient than a group of privates when given a daunting task. It might not be done the smart way, or the "right way," but man, if it doesn't get done. So when I made the decision to go back in on the active duty side, I did not hesitate to go the enlisted route. When things get done in the military, they are accomplished by junior enlisted soldiers. This was reiterated over and over to me by my senior non-commissioned officer instructor in ROTC. While the officer gets the credit, the young soldiers are those responsible for that credit. The best officers know this, and I felt that there's no better way to truly understand this than putting myself in the shoes of the joe.

On Veteran's Day, I received many thank yous from people on my facebook page. Every one of them thanked me for what I am doing for my country (these thank yous truly meant a lot to me, so thank you all for your shows of gratitude). While I love the United States, and wouldn't call any other country home, I'm not willing to lay my life on the line for my country. However, I would not hesitate to lay my life down for the guy standing next to me, knowing that he would say the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I took an oath to defend our Constitution and will do so for as long as I breathe, but what means more to me are the men standing next to me, for they represent what this great country stands for. Every race, creed, etc... is represented in the military, and it functions as one. No other organization in the United States can say that. Are there problems with racism, close-mindedness, and sexism? Sure, but no moreso than in Corporate America. But when the bullets start flying, all those labels no longer matter. Bullets have flown here, and I have seen this first-hand.

I am proud to be a part of this Army. I often wake up in the morning and can't believe that I get paid to do what I do. I don't get paid much, I work long hours, and I'm in it regardless how I feel for at least the next 4 years, but when I sit down and think about my decision to go back in, I feel no regret. The road to here was a long and winding one, but all of those choices that I made along the way got me to where I am today. If I could go back and do it all again...all the debt, heartache, wandering, and mistakes...Yes. I would.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."

1 comment: